Earth Day was founded in 1970 as a day of education about environmental issues and today marks the 50th anniversary of the global event. Due to the current pandemic, we won’t be able to celebrate this one in the great outdoors. Nevertheless, social-distancing has made a positive impact on the planet from cleaner beaches to less air pollution.
Although we can’t pay respect to Mother Nature in person, we can honor her from our homes. In celebration, we’ve gathered 30 songs to listen to on the 50th anniversary of Earth Day!
1. Earth Day Every Day by John Denver
'Celebrate Earth Day, Every Day'
2. What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
‘I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom, for me and you. And I think to myself what a wonderful world'
3. Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell
“Hey farmer, farmer, put away the DDT now. Give me spots on my apples but leave me the birds and the bees, please”
4. Sunshine on My Shoulders by John Denver
‘Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy, Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry, Sunshine on the water looks so lovely'
5. Man Walks Among Us by Jonathan Richman
'Soon will be gone all the desert. Cities will cover each hill. Today will just be a sad memory.'
6. Gaia by James Taylor
‘Pray for the forest, pray for the tree, pray for the fish in the deep blue sea’
7. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) by Marvin Gaye
'Things ain’t what the used to be, no no, where did all the blue skies go?’
8. We Can Run by The Grateful Dead
‘Of all possible worlds, we only got one: we gotta ride on it whatever we’ve done, we’ll never get far from what we leave behind’
9. Paradise by John Prine
‘And daddy won’t you take me back to Muhlenberg County, down by the Green River where Paradise lay’
10. Where do the Children Play by Cat Stevens
‘We’re changing day to day, but tell me, where do the children play?’
11. Mother Nature’s Son by The Beatles
‘Find me in my field of grass, Mother Nature’s son, Swaying daisies sing a lazy song beneath the sun’
12. Down to Earth by Peter Gabriel
‘We hear the birds sing in the tree, The land will be looked after, We send the seeds out in the breeze’
13. (Nothing but) Flowers by Talking Heads
‘This was a pizza hut now it’s all covered with daises’
14. Don’t Go Near The Water by Johnny Cash
'There was a time the air was clean and you could see forever ‘cross the plains, The wind was sweet as honey and no one had ever heard of acid rain’
15. Don’t Go Near The Water by The Beach Boys
‘Let’s all help the water right away, Do what we can and ought to, Let’s start today’
16. Quick Escape by Pearl Jam
‘And we think about the old days, Of green grass, sky and red wine’
17. Every Age by Jose Gonzalez
‘Take this dream of a better land, take your time, build a home, build a place where we can all belong”
18. Saltwater by Julian Lennon
‘we climb the highest mountain, we’ll make the desert bloom, we’re so ingenious, we can walk on the moon, but when I hear of how, the forests have died, saltwater wells in my eyes’
19. Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth by Sparks
‘I’ll admit I was unfaithful, but from now on I’ll be more faithful, never turn your back on mother, never turn your back on mother, never turn your back on mother earth’
20. Waiting on the World to Change by John Mayer
‘It’s hard to beat the system when we’re standing at a distance, so we keep waiting, waiting on the world to change’
21. Kids by MGMT
‘Control yourself, take only what you need from it’
22. Out in the Country by Three Dog Night
‘Before the breathin’ air is gone, before the sun is just a bright spot in the nighttime, out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone and take back somethin’ worth remembering'
23. The Landscape is Changing by Depeche Mode
‘Cause i don’t care if you’re going nowhere, just take good care of the world’
24. Don’t Panic by Coldplay
‘We live in a beautiful world, yeah, we do, yeah, we do’
25. Conviction of the Heart by Kenny Loggins
‘One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life, I believe we’ll survive, if only we try’
26. The 3 R's by Jack Johnson
'We've got to learn to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle'
27. Apeman by The Kinks
‘I look out my window, but I can’t see the sky ‘cause the air pollution is a-fogging up my eyes. I want to get out of this city alive and make like an Ape man’
28. Keep Texas Beautiful by Jerry Jeff Walker
‘Keep her wild and natural, just the way she ought to be’
29. Cowboy Take Me Away by Dixie Chicks
'I said I wanna touch the earth, I wanna break it in my hands, I wanna grow something wild and unruly’
30. Mother Earth by Neil Young & Promise of the Real
‘How long can you give and not receive and feed this world ruled by greed’